Sunday, September 26, 2010

Welcome....

....to the Phelps Family blog.  Please use this space to ask questions, to share funny stories from the past and present, and to share our family with the next generation.  My hope is this will become a written history for all of us.  A place to reminisce in the past as well as foster the dreams of the future.  I love you all and want to have a family "place" where we can all get together regardless of the miles between us!!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to write my first post as a comment so that I don't bump the Welcome note until everyone has had a chance to see it...

    One of my favorite Christmas memories:

    I had to have been about 12 or 13. Right at the age where being "cool" is of paramount importance. We were at Grandma and Grandpa's having a family Christmas and I think everyone was home that year. I had opened most of my pile when I came to a gift from Jeff and Laura. I had been saving it because I always loved their gifts. It was thin and flat and I was perplexed as to what it could be. I still remember being filled with anticipation. Everyone was watching as I tore into the package. I can still remember sitting there momentarily shocked with what I saw. It was a record...yes...as in vinyl. Not only were records not "cool" but this was something incredibly lame like the Partridge Family. It took me a moment to get my wits about me and remember to be gracious. I swallowed my disappointment and managed to muster a smile and a thank you...when everyone started to laugh. They were so impressed that I managed to recover so quickly and mind my manners. I had been duped. The real gift was a gift certificate to the music store so I could go and buy some really cool tape. I remember feeling embarrassed at being tricked, even if just for a moment. Relieved that Jeff and Laura hadn't become clueless grown ups and excited for the real gift. It is such a silly memory, but one I think of every Christmas. Vinyl and cassetes in the same memory...I guess I am getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When mom told me about this blogspot and told me to comment something on it today, there is only one thing that ican think of to put with the recent news of uncle jeff. Every time that i ever went to visit him in salt lake the one thing that we would always talk about, even if just for a second, was if i remembered being at grandma carlena's house with the family. he would ask if i remembered when he would put a collar and a leash on me and i would pretend to be a dog and he would take me for "walks." Every time he asked i would always say no, but i feel like now after he and i talking about it so many times that i really do remember...

    I wish that i had gotten to spend more time with him, maisy, and laura. but the memories of times i've had with them throughout the years are ones that i'll never forget. I love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete